The CCA recently received an update from the Shelbourne Community Kitchen Society (SCK) directors on what’s been keeping them busy during this pandemic.
Since March this year
- By adapting quickly to COVID-19 protocols, the SCK team has not missed a day of service.
- The SCK registered an additional 170 participants since March, bringing the total number to 700.
- The SCK Pantry program established a home delivery service, increasing grocery access from once to twice a month, and increasing the amount of healthy food available to support their participants who are staying home and staying safe.
- In-person cooking programs were replaced in July with weekly virtual classes, allowing SCK participants to get cooking together again.
- In partnership with the City of Victoria’s Get Growing project, SCK volunteers started 50 new gardens at participants’ homes and distributed over 1,300 seedlings.
For more information, to participate, volunteer or donate, please phone (250) 590-0980 or email here.
Three Shelbourne Valley churches—St. Luke’s Anglican, St. Aidan’s United, and Lutheran Church of the Cross—and two Community Associations, Mount Tolmie Community Association and Camosun Community Association collaborated to found the SCK.
The SCK will be moving into their new location by March 2021, ground floor of Lutheran Church of the Cross, located at 3787 Cedar Hill Rd.